This is the Cuke Archives page for what’s being featured each day.
Our other two Zen sites: shunryusuzuki.com - all the transcripts, audio, film, photo archive
and ZMBM.net - for Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
New 2021: Audiobook for Crooked Cucumber & Zen Is Right Now: More Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki
Youtube Cuke Archives - Posts from here also appear on Facebook Cuke Archives
Core Books by and about Shunryu Suzuki -- People Index -- DC home -- DC Books
Cuke Podcasts - Instagram Cuke Archives - - Donate
For personal, environment, music, etc, go to Cuke nonZense Blog and cuke-annex
Search cuke blog 
Search Cuke.com

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

RIP John Nelson

John Nelson, our dear Zen Center brother just died. Condolences to Kim and their offspring, Bergen and Eric. Learned from Chris Fortin who read it in Bergen's FB post which I copy here.

It is with a very heavy heart I share that my father, John, took his last breath this morning. It was very peaceful, at my parents' home. My mom Kim, brother Eric, and I were by his side. He battled stage 4 colorectal cancer for the past 1.5 years and had a sudden turn for the worse just over 2 weeks ago. We are thankful for the good care he received in the hospital and then with home hospice, and forever grateful for the support we have received from family, friends and colleagues during this difficult time.

I pretty much hit the jackpot when I was born into this world as John's daughter. He was the most positive and encouraging person I've ever known. His was the first face I saw in life, and he has loved me all my life, taken care of me, helped with school and work projects, helped with every move, played with our kids, and has never hesitated to visit us, drum up ideas, talk, play, or enjoy life to its fullest.
Although I am heartbroken to lose him, too soon, I am feeling deep love and gratitude for the person he was and everything we shared. Thinking about so many happy memories to help me get through this sadness.
I'm sorry for anyone hearing this sad news for the first time. It's just too overwhelming to try and communicate with all the people he touched. We will share official details, obituary, and memorial service info as soon as we have it.
Rest in peace, beloved father.
May 29, 1947 to February 5, 2020