This is the Cuke Archives page for what’s being featured each day.
Our other two Zen sites: shunryusuzuki.com - all the transcripts, audio, film, photo archive
and ZMBM.net - for Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
New 2021: Audiobook for Crooked Cucumber & Zen Is Right Now: More Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki
Youtube Cuke Archives - Posts from here also appear on Facebook Cuke Archives
Core Books by and about Shunryu Suzuki -- People Index -- DC home -- DC Books
Cuke Podcasts - Instagram Cuke Archives - - Donate
For personal, environment, music, etc, go to Cuke nonZense Blog and cuke-annex
Search cuke blog 
Search Cuke.com

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

A Message from Silva on reading Whalen

Got this email from David Silva today and thought it would be good to share. - dc

I'm recommending you read Sourdough Lookout by Philip Whalen today. Wonderful poem. His best, possibly? Certainly his most famous.
 

I then continued reading backwards in On Bears Head, got as far a Souffle.
 

Speaking of trying to find your PW books. Upon my return from Japan, I read Scenes From Life At the Capital in its totality. Then wanted to read Schneider's PW bio,  Crowded by Beauty, on the parts when PW was in Kyoto. Weirdest thing, I could not find either book, even tho I'd just read Scenes, and Crowded By Beauty is way too large a book to lose. Maybe I should spend my time sheltering in place organizing my library.