This is the Cuke Archives page for what’s being featured each day.
Our other two Zen sites: shunryusuzuki.com - all the transcripts, audio, film, photo archive
and ZMBM.net - for Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
New 2021: Audiobook for Crooked Cucumber & Zen Is Right Now: More Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki
Youtube Cuke Archives - Posts from here also appear on Facebook Cuke Archives
Core Books by and about Shunryu Suzuki -- People Index -- DC home -- DC Books
Cuke Podcasts - Instagram Cuke Archives - - Donate
For personal, environment, music, etc, go to Cuke nonZense Blog and cuke-annex
Search cuke blog 
Search Cuke.com

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Last question

Student AA: Docho Roshi, you said that there's no special meaning to the Lotus Sutra. And last night you said that Dogen said everyone is going to attain enlightenment-- everyone will become enlightened. We're all practicing now so it seems like it's okay to say that to us. But if I was some businessman in San Francisco that you just happened to meet on the street, and he said: “What's the Lotus Sutra?” What would you say?

SR: What would I say? I may say, “That is Lotus Sutra,” but I may continue and say, “but you will not think so.”
Student AA: Would you tell him that there is some special meaning to the sutra? I mean if he asks you, “Well, what will I get if I read this sutra?”-- what will you say?

SR: If they ask me what is Lotus Sutra-- [He is interrupted by the student.]

Student AA: Yeah. Why-- why read it?
SR: Why you read it? You should say that “I read it, but Lotus Sutra is not voluminous enough. So I want to read-- I want more voluminous Lotus Sutra than this.”  -------------------------------- Excerpt from Shunryu Suzuki lecture - 68-09-00 as found on shunryusuzuki.com. Edited by DC  - Going through Suzuki lectures and posting anything that can stand on its own. Not looking for zingers or "the best of." I find that following these excerpts daily provides another way to experience Suzuki's teaching. - DC