This is the Cuke Archives page for what’s being featured each day.
Our other two Zen sites: shunryusuzuki.com - all the transcripts, audio, film, photo archive
and ZMBM.net - for Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
New 2021: Audiobook for Crooked Cucumber & Zen Is Right Now: More Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki
Youtube Cuke Archives - Posts from here also appear on Facebook Cuke Archives
Core Books by and about Shunryu Suzuki -- People Index -- DC home -- DC Books
Cuke Podcasts - Instagram Cuke Archives - - Donate
For personal, environment, music, etc, go to Cuke nonZense Blog and cuke-annex
Search cuke blog 
Search Cuke.com

Monday, January 25, 2021

On the Early Pali Teachings

Mark Foote on The Early Record.

About sending this link, he wrote: I wrote a piece that I thought might interest you--it's an overview of the teachings of the Pali sermons.  

As usual, I wrote it to teach myself.  That's what I get, for having learned college mathematics through my own notes, and transcribing my own notes.  Not unlike what you do!

I thought it would interest you, because of my descriptions of the first four states of concentration (the rupa jhanas).  Very un-Zenlike.

Do you ever dream of Shunryu Suzuki?  I've had some dreams of Kobun.  In the last one, he told me I should rework my website, which I kind of resented in the dream.  Stupid (