This is the Cuke Archives page for what’s being featured each day.
Our other two Zen sites: shunryusuzuki.com - all the transcripts, audio, film, photo archive
and ZMBM.net - for Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
New 2021: Audiobook for Crooked Cucumber & Zen Is Right Now: More Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki
Youtube Cuke Archives - Posts from here also appear on Facebook Cuke Archives
Core Books by and about Shunryu Suzuki -- People Index -- DC home -- DC Books
Cuke Podcasts - Instagram Cuke Archives - - Donate
For personal, environment, music, etc, go to Cuke nonZense Blog and cuke-annex
Search cuke blog 
Search Cuke.com

Friday, August 27, 2021

Two Anecdotes

Just got a neat email from Harry Garcia

Hi. I met you in Dec 1972 in Albuquerque. You were passing through with Dianne [Daya Goldschlag]. You wore a purple down jacket. I was a student of Trungpa but I'd just spent the Fall Practice Period at Tassajara where Dianne had also been practicing. Hence the visit. We smoked pot.

I have a few anecdotes I thought you might like. When I went to Karma Dzong in 73 I met Annapurna. She told me she'd been in India and that because she had severe asthma she had the habit of asking gurus what to do if one were dying. She ran into Trungpa there and asked him. His advise was, "Be open and have a sense of humor." 

And a Mel Weitsman anecdote! When I was at Tassajara I overheard a conversation on Alice Haspray's with Mel. She explained to Mel that Trungpa hadn't been able to play when he was a child. Mel responded, "Now he's playing."