This is the Cuke Archives page for what’s being featured each day.
Our other two Zen sites: shunryusuzuki.com - all the transcripts, audio, film, photo archive
and ZMBM.net - for Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
New 2021: Audiobook for Crooked Cucumber & Zen Is Right Now: More Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki
Youtube Cuke Archives - Posts from here also appear on Facebook Cuke Archives
Core Books by and about Shunryu Suzuki -- People Index -- DC home -- DC Books
Cuke Podcasts - Instagram Cuke Archives - - Donate
For personal, environment, music, etc, go to Cuke nonZense Blog and cuke-annex
Search cuke blog 
Search Cuke.com

Monday, September 13, 2021

Continuing from last week's top of pole talk

For instance, you know, my wife [laughs]-- every morning, when breakfast is ready, she hits clappers. If I don't answer [laughs], she may continue to hit them [laughs, laughter] until I feel rather angry [laughs, laughter]. Why we have that kind of problem is quite simple. Because I don't answer, you know. If I say “Hai!”-- that's the end of it [laughs, laughter]. Because I don't say “Hai!” she she has to continue because she doesn't know whether I heard it or not [laughs].

Sometime she may think: “He knows but he doesn't answer.” Eeiiiiii! [Laughs, laughter.] That is what will happen. When I don't answer, I am, you know, on the top of the pole [laughs]. When I say “Hai!” I jump off. Because I stay at the top of the pole, she starts to get angry. That is how we create problem.

So the secret is just to say “Hai!” you know, and jump up from here. Then there is no problem. It means that, to be yourself-- always be yourself, without sticking to old self. When you say “Hai!” you know, you forget all about yourself and are refreshed into some new self. And before the new self becomes old self, you should say another “Hai!” or you should walk to the kitchen. So the point is on each moment to forget the point and to extend our practice, forgetting ourselves.
                    --------------------------- Excerpt from Shunryu Suzuki  lecture 69-04-20 - as found on shunryusuzuki.com. Edited by DC  - Going through Suzuki lectures and posting anything that can stand on its own. Not looking for zingers or "the best of." I find that following these excerpts daily provides another way to experience Suzuki's teaching. Got to https://www.instagram.com/cuke_archives/ for more daily Shunryu Suzuki lecture excerpts - with a photo.