This is the Cuke Archives page for what’s being featured each day.
Our other two Zen sites: shunryusuzuki.com - all the transcripts, audio, film, photo archive
and ZMBM.net - for Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
New 2021: Audiobook for Crooked Cucumber & Zen Is Right Now: More Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki
Youtube Cuke Archives - Posts from here also appear on Facebook Cuke Archives
Core Books by and about Shunryu Suzuki -- People Index -- DC home -- DC Books
Cuke Podcasts - Instagram Cuke Archives - - Donate
For personal, environment, music, etc, go to Cuke nonZense Blog and cuke-annex
Search cuke blog 
Search Cuke.com

Thursday, September 2, 2021

Lage Carlson

Lage Carlson sent an email with photos. Check it out:

Lage Carlson wrote: I lived up the street on Page from you with Howard Dewar and Allen Block (who lives in Berkeley). Earlier I lived on Laguna with Sue Satermo with Alan Marlowe down the hall around 1974. I was probably the tallest Zen student at Page St. and Tassajara (two practice periods).  I have looked through your photos of the early days at Zen Center at least before my time 1974-1979, with great interest. 

A photo directory of 300 Page alumni and/or Tasajara would be great though with so many people coming and going in the 1970’s it may be impossible.

The photos from the top are me, Howard Dewar, me in my room at Zen Center with robes, and John Steiner and I at Tassajara taken in front  of my cabin. I worked with Paul Disco. I got to  carry his tools around.

DC comment: Lage at 6'8" is the tallest person I know of to practice at the SFZC. Lage has a good suggestion about gathering photos of students from back when. Barbara Wenger has many thousands. The SFZC has thousands. SFZC has mainly focused on those of Shunryu Suzuki. Something should be done about this. I've communicated with Barbara about it.. She's doing her best. I do a little. Any thoughts?