Sometimes “no” means to put emphasis on something. “No nose” means “that is nose.” The same thing. When I say, “no nose,” this is a stronger expression of your nose. If I say, “You have a nose,” you will think, “Of course I have a nose!” [Laughter.] If I say, “You have no nose,” you will be surprised. “Oh, is it really so? I have a nose.” Then you will realize what your nose is in its true sense. So, “no nose” means “you have a nose.”
—cuke.com/ig for links to the source of the image. Excerpt from Shunryu Suzuki lecture 66-01-21-BN as found on shunryusuzuki.com, edited by PF. These posts are also on Bluesky, Facebook and Instagram. We are continually working on improving the quality of transcriptions of Suzuki's lectures. After a new "verbatim transcript" is made, we create a minimally edited version which is more readable. See the most recently completed transcripts at shunryusuzuki.com/n.
